A strong food safety culture is particularly relevant to the cannabis workplace because of the unique history of the workers and the unique needs of the consumers. The behavior and mindset of workers in the cannabis industry must adjust to new regulations. Also, with cannabis legalization in several states, cannabis reaches a larger, wider population including consumers most vulnerable to foodborne illness such as people with immunocompromised systems; the elderly, pregnant women, or young people. Therefore, it’s important to develop a food safety culture in the workplace to promote safe quality cannabis for large-scale production for a wider audience.
1. Understand why a strong food safety culture is particularly relevant to the cannabis workplace and industry.
2. Define what is a food safety culture.
3. Learn how to develop a food safety culture in a diverse environment.
4. Outline who is needed to develop a food safety culture.
5. Identify when to start developing a food safety culture in a cannabis workplace.